ROVIGO | Loreo
Located in the Lower Polesine, between the Adige and the Po rivers, Loreo extends along the banks of the Naviglio, once a navigable canal. The ancient Lauretum takes its name from the laurel plant, which in the past abounded in these areas. It was always linked to Venice, which considered it a military and economic cornerstone, it is still marked today by the imprint of the Serenissima, both in its architecture and in the colour of the houses and streets. Amongst the main places to visit the Church of Santa Maria Assunta, which houses important paintings of the Venetian school, but also the Zago theater, an Art Nouveau building inaugurated in 1891.
FUN FACT: The first news of a gondola dates to a document of 1094, in which the Doge Vitale Farlier freed Loreo from the debt he owed him for a certain number of gondolas.