Giordano Bruno, a priest, and philosopher originally from Nola, was interested in occultism and magic as well as in theology. He arrived in Venice in March 1592 and settled in Mocenigo’s house, as a guest of the nobleman who wanted to learn magical disciplines. However, the relationship between the two was difficult and created an unexpected outcome with a tragic ending. Mocenigo, noticing no improvement in his esoteric abilities and envious of the Bruno’s powers, did not hesitate to report him to the Venetian authorities. He was accused of blasphemy, contempt for religions and the practice of magical arts, he was taken to the cells of the Inquisition in Venice and then transferred to the prisons of the Sant’Uffizio palace in Rome and, after a seven-year trial, was recognized as a heretic and condemned to the stake according to the formula “Vivus in igne mittatur” (let him be thrown alive in the fire). The torture was so terrible that even today, on the night of his death (February 17th 1600), the ghost of the priest returns and manifests itself with paranormal phenomena linked to water, the same element that four centuries earlier would have been able to extinguish the flames that killed him with excruciating suffering. It seems that since then sudden plumbing failures have occurred and that the taps, inexplicably, open themselves causing floods. The building in question is Cà Mocenigo Vecchia, built in the 15th century by the family of the same name, a short distance away, precisely at number 1992 in the Santa Croce neighbourhood, along the salizada (calle with a paved and not dusty floor), there is Palazzo Mocenigo, today the seat of the Study Center for the History of Textile, Costume and Perfume.
PALAZZO GRASSI Palazzo Grassi, located in the San Marco neighbourhood, stands on a plot of land with a trapezoidal shape, purchased in different phases by the Grassi family. It is home to interesting art exhibitions and is considered the last patrician palace overlooking the Grand Canal, before the collapse of the Serenissima Republic of Venice.
PALAZZO MALIPIERO The palace is in the heart of Venice, in one of the most prestigious and fascinating neighbourhoods, adjacent to Palazzo Grassi. Built in the Byzantine era, its composite structure epitomizes five centuries of history: each generation of owners has left their mark and their passion for art. In the mid 18th century, Giacomo Casanova lived in the palace.
MUSEO DELLA MUSICA DI VENEZIA The Museo della Musica di Venezia (Music Museum) is housed in the Church of San Maurizio, in the Campo that carries the same name, located between the Accademia and Piazza San Marco. It features nearly two hundred original musical instruments of great Italian violin making. The exhibition tells the story of Venetian music in the 18th century, through the pieces belonging to the various workshops which have made Italian musical instruments famous throughout Europe.
GALLERIA DELL’ACCADEMIA This Italian state museum is in the Dorsoduro neighbourhood, by the Ponte dell’Accademia. Inside, there is the greatest collection of Venetian and Veneto art, especially paintings from the 14th to the 18th century, amongst the major artists are Tintoretto, Titian, Canaletto, and Giorgione. There is also the Vitruvian Man, famous drawing by Leonardo Da Vinci.
Did you know That… Lord Byron stayed and wrote the first two cantos of “Don Juan” in Cà Mocenigo Vecchia. To testify this, there is a plaque affixed to the facade of the building.